Barry and Penarth Model Railway Club
Penarth Model Railway Show
The next Penarth Exhibition will take place
on Sunday 10th July 2016,
in the Paget Rooms, Victoria Road, Penarth,CF64 3EG
Click here for map (map comes up on a separate page - close to return to this page).
This exhibition will be part of the 2016 Penarth Summer Festival
with full approval from Penarth Town Council.
- Opening times from 11.00am until 4.30pm.
- Admission - Adults: £3.00, Children: £2.00
Download your own poster
for display in your clubrooms or elsewhere.
- There will be layouts in all the popular scales, including guest layouts and personal layouts of club members.
The event will be supported by some traders and plus preservation groups.
- Porthiain. This O-gauge layout was built by a former club member, who tragically died of cancer at a young age shortly after this single board was completed. The layout has been completely refurbished with new scenics and motorised points. It operates as a shunting puzzle layout and you can test your own skills, re-sorting the six wagons with a little four wheel tank engine or diesel shunter.
- Wylam Park A new N-gauge layout from BPMRC, which has been much in demand during the past year.
- Demonstration of G-scale railway modelling on the stage area, using track & stock which belonged to a long departed member, Bill Walker, which has recently been bequeathed to the club.
- Bailey Dock (OOscale, 16.5mm gauge) (Denis Bailey)
'Bailey Dock' represents a post-war dockyard after nationalisation. However, being somewhat distant from Swindon, the local staff have so far managed to ignore instructions to repaint the locos and adopt BR lettering and logos. The layout shows scenes typical of small dockyards, with a crane unloading a moored ship, tugs manoeuvring a second ship to its mooring, and a lorry moves aling the dockside, stopping at the goods Shed to load/unload. Locos are DCC operated, with soumnd and smoke units fitted.
- St Kenvince (OOscale, 16.5mm gauge) (Nick Warren)
The setting is a china clay loading facility with passing main line traffic - single track into double track.
Period is BR Sectorisation, with, DCC control. Overall size is 12' x 6' minimum. Operated from a central operating well
- Thomas and friends Mike and his son Simon are bringing their own portable OO layout to allow younger members of the public to run Thomas and friends
- Knotts Landing (HO) (Pontypridd MRC) A small layout depicting American railroad pratice using a car float terminal (small train ferry in British speak). A single freight car is backed onto the ferry, using one or more 'reach cars' to keep the weight of the loco well back from the ferry itself. This makes for an interesting switching (shunting) operation.
- Camlas (OOscale, 16.5mm gauge) (Chris Thomas)
CAMLAS is a 9 ft x 1ft9in (2.74m x 0.53m) GWR branch line based mainly on Newcastle Emlyn (Carmarthenshire). Newcastle Emlyn station and goods yard have now disappeared but in its heyday goods and livestock traffic were heavy (between 2000 to 3000 tons of coal and around 800 trucks of livestock per year were handled for instance). Basically everything came into the area by rail as the road system was poor. This gives a good excuse to utilise the range of railway goods vehicles I own. So coal and PO wagons are very evident along with cattle trucks and fuel tankers.
- Elliot Rail Services (OOscale, 16.5mm gauge)
ELLIOT RAIL SERVICES (7’ X 2’) depicts a Network Rail yard with scratch built track testing and maintenance vehicles. Operation is by DCC, with sound equipped locos.
Preservation and other Groups include the the Talyllyn Railway
Traders include Lord & Butler and Amberley Services
In addition, John Langley, Burnham MRC, will have his range of Dapol limited edition wagons for sale.
There will also be a club stand with pre-owned models, books and other items for sale
"On the sales table at Penarth on Sunday, there will a large selection of high quality HO American models including DCC Sound Steam and Diesel Locos, Passenger Cars, and Freight Cars. Many of these are boxed and test run only. Sensible prices, so a good opportunity to come and treat yourself!"
Refreshments will be available
Further information will be added shortly
The Club's last exhibition took place on 12th July 2015 in the Paget Rooms, Penarth.